Case Snapshot
Case ID: 19178
Classification: Neglect / Abandonment
Animal: dog (non pit-bull)
More cases in NSW
Login to Watch this Case

New features are coming soon. Login with Facebook to get an early start and help us test them out!





Monday, Sep 12, 2011


Disposition: Convicted

Defendant/Suspect: Deborah Kirkman

A Blakett woman has been ordered to pay more than $4000 after pleading guilty to animal cruelty.

Deborah Kirkman pleaded guilty to five charges of animal cruelty at Mt Druitt Court last Thursday.

She was charged with three counts of failure to provide proper and sufficient food and two counts of failure to provide exercise to a confined animal. The charges related to three Pomeranians.

She is the third person in a month to be charged in the Mt Druitt and St Marys area for animal cruelty.

RSPCA inspectors responded to a complaint about the condition of the dogs on September 12 last year.

All were seized for veterinary examination one was scored as emaciated and two as very underweight. The examining veterinarian estimated the emaciated dog had not been provided with proper and sufficient food for at least 28 days. The other dogs for at least 21 days.

After 17 days in RSPCA care, the emaciated dog gained 65 per cent of her presenting weight. The other two dogs gained 35 per cent and 29 per cent of their presenting body weights.

Ms Kirkman surrendered the dogs to the RSPCA in November.

Ms Kirkman was convicted and placed on a Section 9 good behavior bond for two years. She was fined $200 for each charge and has been prohibited from owning dogs for two years.

She was also ordered to pay $81 court costs and $3683.74 veterinary costs. Total fines were $1000.

All charges are under NSW Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act and Regulations.

References

Note: Classifications and other fields should not be used to determine what specific charges the suspect is facing or was convicted of - they are for research and statistical purposes only. The case report and subsequent updates outline the specific charges. Charges referenced in the original case report may be modified throughout the course of the investigation or trial, so case updates, when available, should always be considered the most accurate reflection of charges.

For more information regarding classifications and usage of this database, please visit the database notes and disclaimer.